On the plane flying into New York:
- There are so many highways, cars, trees, houses, and baseball fields!
- There's also a very loud, proud New Yorker sitting behind me whose voice is really grating my nerves. Sir, I cannot handle your accent right now. Please shut up.
- So many big cars, SUVs, and pickup trucks on the road!
- I keep trying to get in the wrong side of the car.
- Being a passenger is scary because I keep thinking we're turning on the wrong side of the road.
- Driving takes A LOT of concentration. It's not so bad on busy roads where I have other cars to follow, but I have to constantly ask myself, "Am I driving on the correct side of the road? This does not feel right...".
- I drove down the street on the left side yesterday in my friend's neighborhood. I didn't realize what I was doing until I saw the stop sign on the right side of the road. Oops.
- There are so many channels and so many commercials!
- The drug commercials are particularly weird.
- I need to catch up on a lot of shows...
- I keep trying to use plug adapters for my appliances... oh yeah... don't need those.
- Sitting in a restaurant and being surrounded by intense Philly accents. Where am I!?!
- Friends asking me to repeat everything I say and pointing out my "Irish" accent. I'm sorry but I don't realize I'm doing it and I may phrase things differently and use strange words but please stop pointing it out. "Half 2", "craic", "sound", "so", and "like" are perfectly acceptable expressions, thank you very much.
- Goldfish!!! I missed those cheesy suckers!
- Rediscovering my wardrobe! I had forgotten how many clothes I had and summer clothes are my favorite! Gotta love my 6 pairs of sandals!
- Heard Olly Murs on the radio! I didn't realize he had hit the States. I found myself singing along to "My Heart Skips a Beat" in the car and then remembered I wasn't in Ireland.
- Realizing I don't need to pick out a cardigan to go with my outfit because it's literally 100 degrees (37.8 C) outside.
- Eggs are white... weird
- The grocery store has way too many options. Who needs 50 different spaghetti sauce options!?
- No Glenisk yogurt here :(
- On a positive note, you can now buy Dairy Milk here and Hershey's chocolate syrup is only $1.99!?! That sure beats 6 euro...
- Still forgetting I'm in America when I hear people with American accents
- A week later and no one understands what I'm saying. Trying to speak like an American is like having marbles in my mouth and hurts my ears... I must find some Irish locals before I pull my hair out...
- I keep typing ".ie" on the end of web addresses
- I have to stop myself from saying "euro" and force out the obligatory "bucks"
Culture shock is quite the adventure...